If you’re familiar with my blog, you know I LOVE playing with fun flavor combinations! Honestly, as yummy as they are, if you only make vanilla sugar cookies, you and your customers are missing out! These Strawberry Lemonade Sugar Cookies are sure to bring a smile to your face, transporting you to a sunny place. Coming from a Minnesota baker, we enjoy these year-round and our customers do too. Nothing beats the January blues like a taste of sunshine!
The recipe is no-chill, no-spread, easy to roll-out and DELICIOUS! LorAnn’s Strawberry Emulsion is the key to the perfect cookie flavor and the Lemonade Super Strength Flavor is key in the royal icing! THIS is my favorite Bakery Emulsions set because they are ALL delicious! And HERE is the LorAnn’s Lemonade Super Strength Flavoring; remember, a little goes a LONG way!
Now, these strawberry cookies are crazy good on their own, but the lemonade royal icing really adds the perfect flavor combination! Keep in mind that the super strength flavors are very potent so you can flavor as mild or as strong as you’d like. In this recipe, I used about 10 drops for the whole batch of royal icing as I wanted to ensure the lemonade wouldn’t overpower the strawberry cookie flavor. For more on using emulsions and super strength flavors, read THIS post which will tell you everything you need to know. And rest assured, using water-based super strength flavors will not affect how your royal icing dries!
I hope you enjoy these strawberry lemonade sugar cookies as much as we do! They’d be the perfect complement for a spring barbeque too! Leave a comment below!
Taste the Sunshine with Strawberry Lemonade Sugar Cookies
Strawberry Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter Room Temperature
- 1 cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1.5 tsp Strawberry Emulsion (I use LorAnn's brand)
- 1 Egg Room Temperature
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
Lemonade Royal Icing
- 5 tbsp Meringue Powder (I use Genie's Dream)
- 1 tbsp Light Corn Syrup
- 1 tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Water
- 2 lbs Powdered Sugar
- 10 drops LorAnn's Lemonade Super Strength Flavor You can use more or less to taste, but keep in mind a little goes a long way!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- I use parchment paper on my cookies sheets and reuse them for all my batches that day.
- In your mixer bowl (or large bowl with hand-mixer) cream butter and sugar until smooth, at least 1 minute
- Beat in strawberry emulsion and egg
- In a separate bowl, combine baking powder, salt and flour. Add to wet ingredient mixing bowl a little at a time.
- Mix until thoroughly blended
- Chilling the dough is not necessary! I have tried many different ways of rolling out dough and always come back to the old-fashioned way; a sheet of wax paper that has been floured.
- I usually divide the dough into 3 chunks and roll out each onto a floured surface and cut. In my experience, this dough works best for cookies at 1/4" thick. I use my Joseph Joseph rolling pin which does the measuring for me – genius!
- Bake at 350 for 7-8 minutes, depending on size of cookie. I also suggest baking similar-sized cookies together.
- Cool cookies on cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to colling rack.
Lemonade Royal Icing
- Combine meringue powder, light corn syrup, clear vanilla extract, water and lemonade super strength flavor in mixing bowl.
- Using a whisk, mix until ingredients are foamy. This is essentially reconstituting the egg whites in the meringue powder.
- Add the powdered sugar
- Using your whisk, mix until powdered sugar is slightly incorporated (and won't fly everywhere)
- Beat for 5 minutes on medium-high
- Icing will thicken, whiten and will have soft peaks once ready
- Your Royal Icing will now be ready to color and thin to your desired consistencies for decorating!
Sign up to receive my newsletter!