Sometimes a vanilla sugar cookie is just not what you’re craving! That’s where this delicious, no-chill, no-fail, no-spread chocolate sugar cookie recipe comes in! These cookies have the convenience and portability of a cookie but the taste of an amazing brownie. I don’t know about you, but this combination is basically what I live for! The other beauty of these babies is that you can decorate them, especially with fun, flavored icing, or leave them naked! They are delicious both ways! I’ve played in the kitchen, trying many different recipes and have determined this to be the go-to recipe for a rich, chocolate flavor.
The Secret INgredient
The secret ingredient that enhances the rich chocolate flavor is espresso powder! Stay with me, I know what you’re thinking, and I can promise you, you will not taste a hint of coffee! I can also assure you; this amount of espresso powder will not have your kids bouncing off the walls. I’m personally extremely sensitive to caffeine and would get very ill if I drank a cup of coffee or (gasp!) a can of Coca-Cola! Confession: I’ve ate several of these cookies in one sitting and had no caffeine effects.
let’s talk about cocoa powder
I’m not going to get all nerdy on this, but since baking is really a science, let’s touch on this. Dutch processed cocoa powder has a slightly higher pH and a much darker color. While sometimes you can use them interchangeably, there is a rule of thumb that I find helpful. When a recipe calls for baking soda, use natural cocoa powder. Conversely, when a recipe calls for baking powder, use Dutch processed cocoa powder.
Dutch processed cocoa powder is not as readily available as regular cocoa powder. However, I always use the Ghirardelli brand Dutch processed cocoa powder and find it at Walmart.
Without further ado, here is the delicious chocolate sugar cookie recipe!
The Best No-Chill Chocolate Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup (227g) Salted Butter Room Temperature
- 1 cup (200g) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg Room Temperature
- 1 tbsp (13g) Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (60g) Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp (9.5g) Baking Powder
- 2.5 cups (300g) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp (1.8g) Espresso Powder
- If I know I’ll be baking, I pull my butter out of the fridge the night before to get to room temp. But if you’re baking spontaneously, no worries, just zap your butter in the microwave on half-power for about 12 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- I use parchment paper sheets on my cookie sheets and reuse them for all my batches that day.
- In your mixer bowl (or large bowl with hand-mixer) cream butter and sugar until smooth, about 1 minute
- Beat in vanilla and egg
- In a separate bowl. combine the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and espresso powder. Add to wet mixture a small amount at a time.
- Mix until dough is pulling away from the sides of the bowl
- Divide dough into 2 sections and roll out each on wax paper or other prepared surface to 1/4" thick. This dough should require very little additional flour to roll out. I love that it is not sticky!
- Cut into desired shapes; this dough does not spread! I always suggest baking similar-sized cookies together.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 6-7 minutes (depending on cookie size)
- Cool cookies on cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to cooling rack.
- Eat plain or decorate!
If you do decide to decorate with Royal Icing, you can find our favorite recipe HERE!
Leave a comment below and let us know your feedback once you give these cookies a try!
Sign up to receive my newsletter!