Confession: I’m a sucker for anything chocolate mint! And now that the weather has cooled off, I thought this would be the perfect time to share my chocolate mint sugar cookie recipe! With the holidays coming, I know I’ll be making these on repeat! My family, friends and customers LOVE these and have started requesting them now that the season is upon us. As always with my cutout cookie recipes, this is no-chill, no-spread and easy to make! And most importantly, it has the perfect amount of mint flavoring balanced with the chocolate; not overpowering at all. Without further ado, let’s get into it!
Cutters and Flavor
For these simple snowflake cookies, I used THIS cookie cutter set, which I love! Snowflakes are so fun because you are only limited by your own creativity, there are endless designs and no rules!
The secret ingredient in these cookies is the peppermint bakery emulsion, you can find HERE. If you don’t already know, most professional bakers use emulsions instead of extracts. Emulsions are water-based instead of alcohol-based, so the flavor doesn’t “bake out” and you get a much fuller flavor.
You can leave these cookies plain or decorate with royal icing or buttercream, either way, they are crazy good. For this batch, I used my go-to royal icing recipe, which you can find HERE.
A Quick Word About Cocoa and Espresso Powder
You CAN use regular, unsweetened cocoa powder, but in my taste tests, the Dutch processed cocoa powder gives it the best flavor. I use Ghirardelli and find it at Walmart.
The espresso powder really enhances the chocolate flavor and is a common ingredient in chocolate baked goods. I can promise you; you will not taste a hint of coffee and there are no noticeable caffeine effects from this small amount.
In short, using the best ingredients is what will set your cookies apart from others!
Chocolate Mint Sugar Cookie Recipe
I hope you; your loved ones and all others love these as much as we do! Honestly, the smell these put out when baking is incredible too! Enjoy!
Perfectly Irresistible Chocolate Mint Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup Salted Butter Room Temperature
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg Room Temperature
- 1 Tbsp Peppermint Bakery Emulsion
- 1/2 cup Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2.5 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Espresso Powder
- If I know I’ll be baking, I pull my butter out of the fridge the night before to get to room temp. But if you’re baking spontaneously, no worries, just zap your butter in the microwave on half-power for about 12 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- I use parchment paper sheets on my cookie sheets and reuse them for all my batches that day.
- In your mixer bowl (or large bowl with hand-mixer) cream butter and sugar until smooth, about 1 minute
- Beat in peppermint emulsion and egg
- Add cocoa powder and mix until incorporated
- Add baking powder and espresso powder mix until incorporated
- Add flour and mix until dough is pulling away from the sides of the bowl
- Divide dough into 2 sections and roll out each on wax paper or other prepared surface to 1/4" thick. This dough should require very little additional flour to roll out. I love that it is not too sticky!
- Cut into desired shapes; this dough does not spread! I always suggest baking similar-sized cookies together.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 6-7 minutes (depending on cookie size)
- Cool cookies on cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to cooling rack.
- Eat plain or decorate!
Sign up to receive my newsletter!