Hey Besties! With the holiday season lurking, I know I’m not the only one thinking about my holiday baking! Of course, I have several of my favorite recipes that I make every year, more so because the family has come to expect them! But I always like to add at least a few new recipes into the rotation and these chocolate snickerdoodle cookies are on the list! We will also be offering Christmas cookie platters this season for our local customers, and this will definitely be one of their cookie options. Don’t get me wrong, we’re still swooning over our chocolate mint cookies which will also be an option (recipe HERE), but there is a lot to love about these chocolate snickerdoodle cookies. Read on for this easy, quick and delicious new twist!
What Is It About Cinnamon Cookies?
I’m a huge fan of cinnamon and when it’s in a cookie, I lose all willpower. The cinnamon-y goodness just makes me want to curl up by a fire in a cozy sweater and relax. Maybe it’s just me? I hope not! Certainly, there has to be other cinnamon cookie lovers out there. Anyway, the secret ingredient in this magical recipe is the cinnamon spice baking emulsion which adds just enough flavor to perfectly dance with the chocolate. If you’ve bene here before, you know I’m a fan of baking emulsions for really great, full flavors that you can’t get with extracts.
Of course, they wouldn’t be snickerdoodles if we didn’t roll them in cinnamon sugar before baking too. I use a 1:3 ratio of cinnamon to sugar, but apparently some people prefer a 1:4 ratio, so do what you love!
Just Give Us The Recipe!
Alright, alright, enough talking about the recipe, here it is! It’s easy, quick and I think you and those in your world will love it too! Let me know if you end up making these for the holidays too!
Chocolate Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter Room Temperature
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg Room Temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Spice Emulsion (I use LorAnn's)
- 1/2 cup Cinnamon Sugar (I use a 1:3 ratio of cinnamon to sugar)
- If I know I’ll be baking, I pull my butter out of the fridge the night before to get to room temp. But if you’re baking spontaneously, no worries, just zap your butter in the microwave on half-power for about 12 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- I use parchment paper sheets on my cookie sheets and reuse them for all my batches that day.
- In your mixer bowl (or large bowl with hand-mixer) cream butter and both sugars until light and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla extract and cinnamon spice emulsion, until smooth.
- In a separate small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa. Add to wet ingredient mixing bowl a little at a time.
- Mix until thoroughly blended.
- Form dough into balls about 1.5" in size and place a few inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Roll balls in cinnamon sugar.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. They will be puffy, and edges will be set.
- Cool cookies on cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to cooking rack to cool completely.
Sign up to receive my newsletter!