Hey Besties! We’re coming up on graduation party season which is a VERY busy baking time! I know my daughter’s bakery has several graduation parties on the calendar! Almost every graduating senior has a party (big or small) to celebrate this milestone. And for many families, this is a HUGE event at their home that requires months of planning. So, while you may have grad party treats on your calendar or are still getting requests, I want to ensure you consider all the ways you can help the host and gain a repeat customer!
Parents are Stressed
Many parents spend months, if not years, planning for their children’s graduation party. Not everyone regularly entertains at their home so for many, this is a BIG deal. On the same note, if they don’t entertain regularly, planning an event like this can be a huge source of stress. There are a few things you can easily do as a bakery business to assist in the planning effort in addition to providing a quote for treats. By offering more than just a quote, there is a high likelihood that the parent will select you for the event along with becoming a repeat customer. Business always comes down to customer service and if you go above and beyond in a few easy ways, this will relieve major stress for the planning parent!
Help Them Plan Their Graduation Parties
Hear me out, I’m not suggesting you become a party planner. But there are key questions and advice you can offer the host to make the process easier for them. Any way you can make things easier for them or help to ensure the party is a success is something they are REALLY going to appreciate and remember about you.
Say you receive a request for a quote for 150 cupcakes. You can go through your normal quoting process along with flavor options, colors, etc. Beyond the simple quote, here are some additional questions and suggestions you can share for a more personal customer service approach.
Items For Consideration:
- How many guests are you expecting? While they may have requested a quote for a specific number, it may not actually be the best number. For desserts, they should plan one full-size portion/serving or 3 mini-sizes servings per guest
- Have they considered weather? Depending on the climate, some treats may be quick to melt in hot temps. If they plan to have desserts out on display, they may want to consider treats that won’t melt, such as decorated cookies.
- Have they considered treat display options? This is REALLY where you can make an impact! For example, hosts are notorious for requesting 100 cake pops with no plan for how they will be displayed. But WE are so familiar with these goodies, know how they display best and know how vital presentation is! Let the party host know that not only can you provide the treats, but you can offer great suggestions for presentation. Some bakers even go as far as renting out cake pop stands, cake stands, tiered display racks, mason jars, and more. This can be a huge help to the planning host as you’re taking something off their list.
- Have they considered signage as a part of the display? Cute signage, like mini chalkboards which display flavors or different items go a long way! Again, YOU know how your treats display best (you’ve taken 1,000 pictures of them, right?)! Use this expertise to showcase your treats beautifully for their event! Hosting parents will be thrilled with the help you’ve provided to make their party look amazing!
- Have they considered ‘filler’ or small treats to complement the display? Depending on what kinds of treats you offer, this may be something for you to consider. For example, if you only offer cupcakes, it may not make sense. However, if you offer filler items such as custom pretzel rods or chocolate covered Oreos, this is perfect for you. In addition to a beautiful display of primary goods, some complementary treats can really make a display pop!
You Are Helping to Create a Successful Event
While it can seem like a quote request can be very straightforward, I encourage you to consider all the ways you can help make graduation parties memorable. If you can relieve some of the stress from the host, while ensuring their dessert presentation is stunning, they will remember you and refer you to others! On that note, you must keep in mind that you’re not only helping to make THIS party a success, but for all the guests coming, once they see your perfectly displayed treats, they will want to hire you as well! Parents talk and if you make their lives easier, they will be telling all their friends.
I hope this post all about helping to make graduation parties successful has given you some ideas to consider. After all, you’d hate to provide 100 cupcakes only for them to be set out in the sun in some old Tupperware, right? For all the work that goes into making beautiful treats, go the extra mile to ensure they are presented beautifully to showcase your talent. When the guests see your presentation, they will ask “Who made your desserts?!”
I hope you enjoy this gallery of some grad party treats and presentations we have done!
If you found this post helpful, make sure to subscribe so you don’t miss out on future recipes, tips, techniques and featured bakers! Happy Baking, Besties!
Sign up to receive my newsletter!