Hey Besties! You know I love to create delicious fun flavors for all kinds of cookies, and especially cut out cookies! You can visit our recipes page to refresh yourself on all the fun flavors! But today, I’m sharing my version of a classic cookie, arguably the most popular cookie flavor of all time, in cut out form. The chocolate chip cookie, of course! And while ALL the recipes are delicious plain or decorated, I’m going to level with you, I think the fun of these is best celebrated plain! These chocolate chip cut out cookies have all the buttery, chocolatey goodness of a regular cookie but it’s so fun to see the classic cookie in fun shapes! Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE an iced cookie, but with these, I like the unexpectedness of the classic flavor in unique shapes. And of course, I love to let the cookie flavor shine!
People aren’t expecting to see chocolate chip cookies in different shapes, which is what makes these so fun! And they are certainly not expecting the classic chocolate chip flavor that these deliver. Can you make these in circles? Sure can! But is that as fun? Heck no! So, if you’re looking for something unique, whip up a batch of these in some unique shapes and let them stand on their own!
For today’s batch, I used THESE snowflake cutters, which I LOVE and use on repeat for several months of the year! The distinct shapes of these make for a perfect and beautiful display.
To Decorate Or Not?
I’ve already shared that I think these are best celebrated plain to let the flavor shine and play with shapes! But I’m never going to deny more sugar! You may want to consider dry dusting with fun colors or full-on decorating with royal icing! HERE is our go-to royal icing recipe that never fails us. There’s nothing wrong with being a little extra, so have fun! Note that while the chocolate chips do make for a slightly bumpy top, it does not affect the way your icing dries and would still have a smooth finish.
Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookie Recipe
If you’re looking for something unexpected and to surprise friends, guests or customers, I encourage you to give these a try! I hope you love them as much as we do!
Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies
- 1 cup (226 g) Salted Butter Room Temperature
- 3/4 cup (150 g) Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup (150 g) Light Brown Sugar Packed
- 1 Tbsp (7.5 ml) Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg Room Temperature
- 3 cups (360 g) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp (3.74 g) Baking Powder
- 1 tsp (6 g) Salt
- 3/4 cup (135 g) Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- If I know I’ll be baking, I pull my salted butter out of the fridge the night before to get to room temp. But if you’re baking spontaneously, no worries, just zap your butter in the microwave on half-power for about 12 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- I use parchment paper sheets on my cookie sheets and reuse them for all my batches that day.
- In your mixer bowl (or large bowl with hand-mixer) cream butter and both sugars sugar until smooth, at least 2 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla and egg
- In a separate bowl, combine baking powder, salt and flour. Add to wet ingredient mixing bowl a little at a time.
- Mix until thoroughly blended.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Divide dough into sections and roll out floured wax paper or other prepared surface to 1/4" thick.
- Cut into desired shapes. This recipe has very little spread, but if you really want to avoid any spread, chill your cut outs for 30 min before baking. I also always suggest baking similar-sized cookies together.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-9 minutes (depending on cookie size)
- Cool cookies on cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to cooling rack.
- Eat plain or decorate!
No one can deny a chocolate chip cookie, but few have seen them in snowflake or other shapes! Have fun with this recipe! If you found this recipe post helpful, make sure to subscribe so you don’t miss out on future cut out cookie recipes or drop cookie recipes! Happy baking, Bestie!
Sign up to receive my newsletter!