Hey Besties! There are a couple times of year when chocolate covered strawberries are top of mind. Valentine’s Day is one of them and since it is upon us, this is the perfect time to share my secretly simple recipe for true chocolate covered strawberry cookies! Now, maybe you’ve seen sugar cookies decorated like chocolate covered strawberries before. But the difference here is that these not only look the part, but this recipe brings this amazing flavor combo too! Yep, you read that right, these are the real deal and are as delicious as they are cute! Let’s jump in!
Cutters & Flavor
Before we get into the recipe, let’s just touch on some other details of these adorable cookies! THIS is the cutter I used for these cute berries. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve used this cutter for strawberry-themed baby showers, birthdays and other sets.
The secret ingredient to these amazing cookies is LorAnn’s Strawberry Emulsion, which you can find HERE. I use this emulsion for so many recipes and the flavor is just incredible. If I could share how amazing my house smells after making these cookies, I would. Unfortunately, smell technology hasn’t caught up to us yet, but I promise you will love this flavor. I use it a lot in the summertime for our strawberry lemonade cutout cookies too!
As far as decorating design, the chocolate royal icing is true chocolate royal icing, not just brown-colored royal icing. But I did use my go-to royal icing recipe, you can find HERE, for the green leaves and white drizzle details.
Good To Know
If you’ve been here before, you know I LOVE fun flavors for my cutout cookies. All the evidence can be found HERE in our ever-growing collection of fabulous cutout cookie recipes. And while cookies that LOOK like chocolate covered strawberries are cute, I wanted the incredible flavor to match. The best part is that people aren’t expecting the flavor to match, so it’s always a fun surprise!
We also specialize in no-chill cutout cookie recipes around here because who has time for that if it’s not necessary?! This recipe is no different; no-chill, no-spread and delish! Perfect for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day and so much more, I hope you love it too!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cookies Recipe
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cookies
Strawberry Sugar Cookies
Chocolate Royal Icing
- 2 lbs (907g) Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup (72g) Meringue Powder (I use Genie's Dream)
- 6 Tbsp (30g) Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder (I use Ghiradelli)
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup (236ml) Warm Water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- I use parchment paper on my cookies sheets and reuse them for all my batches that day.
- In your mixer bowl (or large bowl with hand-mixer) cream butter and sugar until smooth, at least 1 minute
- Beat in strawberry emulsion and egg
- In a separate bowl, combine baking powder, salt and flour. Add to wet ingredient mixing bowl a little at a time.
- Mix until thoroughly blended
- Chilling the dough is not necessary! I have tried many different ways of rolling out dough and always come back to the old-fashioned way; a sheet of wax paper that has been floured.
- I usually divide the dough into 3 chunks and roll out each onto a floured surface and cut. In my experience, this dough works best for cookies at 1/4" thick. I use my Joseph Joseph rolling pin which does the measuring for me – genius!
- Bake at 350 for 7-8 minutes, depending on size of cookie. I also suggest baking similar-sized cookies together.
- Cool cookies on cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to colling rack.
Chocolate Royal Icing
- Mix your powdered sugar, meringue powder and cocoa powder together, until well-blended in a large mixing bowl.
- Add your warm water and vanilla while mixing on low
- Once ingredients are incorporated, mix on medium-high for 6-7 minutes, until soft peaks form.
- You can now divide into smaller amounts and add powdered sugar to thicken or use a spray bottle of water to thin the royal icing to the desired decorating consistencies.
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! And if you enjoyed this recipe for chocolate covered strawberry cookies, make sure you’re subscribed to receive our weekly newsletter! You’ll never miss out on a new recipe, technique, product recommendation or Featured Baker! Happy Baking, Besties!
Sign up to receive my newsletter!