Hey Besties! Today we’re taking a delicious, old classic to the next level for a couple of reasons! First, I LOVE chocolate crinkle cookies (who doesn’t) but I found all the recipes out there were extremely sticky and frustrating to work with. Even after chilling for hours or overnight, I found myself trying to make dough balls out of what seemed like tar. Washing my hands between every 3 balls was sucking all the fun out of making them! Secondly, I had a hunch that we could make these cookies even prettier by adding shimmer! So, I set out on what ended up being a LONG quest of perfecting a recipe that was easier to work with and worked well with edible glitter. I’m excited to share this with you today!
I can’t even count how many recipe trials, tweaks and experiments it took to get here! But I’m REALLY picky about the recipes I publish and share. It’s not enough for cookies to be pretty, they need to be delicious too. My family thought I had lost my mind with how many batches I had made to make these perfect. Only the best for my besties, right?!
These chocolate crinkle cookies still bring all the moist, chewy goodness of the ones we’re all accustomed to, but saves you all the curse words while making them! And while they do still need to be chilled, it only requires an hour, instead of many hours or overnight which I found almost all other recipes called for. If you’ve been here before, you know my recipes are all about flavor, texture, efficiency and ease!
Bring On The Shimmer
The classic version of these has them rolled in powdered sugar, which is still pretty, but we’re taking these to the next level. With all the colors of the rainbow available in edible glitters, we’re having some fun. I do want to mention that you want to make sure you’re using products labeled as “edible” and using ingredients approved by the FDA. Products labeled as “non-toxic” are not what we’re using here. For these, I used Bakell Super Gold and Bakell Rose Gold. I LOVE Bakell luster dusts because of the quality and beautiful results! The hardest part is picking your colors! On that note, I suggest picking colors based on the color they are in powder form (pictures are included in each listing). Also know that these come in tiny little jars and that a TINY bit goes a LONG way.
As far as technique to add your shimmer, after rolling your dough balls, you can simply roll the balls in a tiny bit of shimmer. I found this easiest by using a 1/3 cup measuring cup with a tiny bit of glitter in it. OR, you can use a fan brush to brush the glitter over the balls if you have a fan brush dedicated to cookie decorating. HERE is the brush set I recommend for cookie decorating all kinds of fun techniques. Either way, you only want/need a very thin coating of glitter on the top half of your ball. You don’t need to waste the glitter by decorating the bottom. This is what my cookie balls looked like after rolling them; I could’ve even gone with a much thinner coat. I found that if you’re glitter is too thick, they won’t crinkle as much.
After these babies come out of the oven and cool, they’ll look like this! Oooh! Ahhh!
Without further ado, here is the recipe you’re looking for! I just LOVE how easy and quick I can make these now and how STUNNING they turn out! I’m excited for you to WOW your family, guests and customers with these shimmering chocolate crinkle cookies!
Easy Shimmering Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- 1/2 cup (113g) Salted Butter Room Temperature
- 1 cup (225g) Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup (220g) Light Brown Sugar
- 2 cups (140g) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (120g) Unsweetened Cocoa Powder I use Hershey's
- 2 tsp (10ml) Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp (9.58g) Baking Powder
- 2 Large Eggs Room Temperature
- 1/2 tsp (3g) Salt
- Approx 1 tsp Edible Glitter for rolling/brushing I use Bakell Edible Luster Dust (FDA compliant)
- In your mixer bowl (or large bowl with hand-mixer) mix butter and both sugars about 1-2 minutes.
- Add vanilla and mix
- Beat in each egg, one at a time
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder. Add to wet ingredient mixing bowl a little at a time.
- Mix until thoroughly blended.
- Cover bowl or wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- After chilling, roll dough into balls about 1.25" in size onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets.
- Roll top half of ball in a tiny amount of edible glitter. I use a 1/3 c measuring spoon with a tiny bit of glitter in it. Or, use a fan brush (dedicated for cookies) and brush a light coat of edible glitter onto the balls. You only need a thin layer of edible glitter on the top half of the dough balls.
- Bake at 350 for 12-13 minutes. Edges will be set, and center will be slightly undone but will bake while cooling.
- Cool cookies on cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to cooling rack or about 5 minutes.
I hope you LOVE these easy, delicious and beautiful, shimmering chocolate crinkle cookies as much as we do! They definitely make your stand cookies stand out from all the others while also being DELICIOUS!
Sign up to receive my newsletter!