Hey Besties! I’m so excited to share the latest in our ever-growing collection of fabulous cutout cookie recipes! Now I will never deny the perfection of a vanilla sugar cookie, let’s not be silly. However, life is too short for the same flavor all the time! I love surprising my family, friends and customers with new and delicious flavors. And let me tell you, the subtle, yet crisp, citrusy flavor in these cookies is everything we aim for in a great cutout cookie. So be sure to bookmark this one and let’s peel back the details!
Orange Cookie Recipe Flavor Perfection
If you’ve been here before, you know we love keeping things fresh with fun flavors, which you can find HERE. You’ll also know that I’m a big fan of LorAnn’s baking emulsions to provide rich, full flavors that you simply can’t get from extracts. If you’re new to using emulsions, you can learn all about the differences between extracts, emulsions and super strength flavors HERE. I have my favorite emulsion flavors and as soon as I smelled this one, I knew it was going to be a new favorite too. The key to the perfect flavor here is THIS LorAnn’s natural orange bakery emulsion. It provides the perfect fresh and crisp scent and flavor for this recipe.
As long as we’re talking oranges, I do want to remind you that we have an amazing orange creamsicle recipe HERE is you’re looking for more of the creamy flavor. Either way, pick your fave and enjoy!
For those interested in the decorating design, I’m happy to share the details! I kept the design very simple but am IN LOVE with how they turned out! Simply utilizing circle cutters and then cutting some in half to create orange slices, made for easy baking!
I used ChefMaster Sunset Orange and Leaf Green – they never fail me! And for the flowers, I used a STIFF royal icing. And when I say stiff, I mean STIFF…as in, hardly moves when I pick up my spatula from the bowl. If you need a tried-and-true royal icing recipe, THIS is our daily go-to!
And of course, utilized the wet-on-wet technique to add the white details to the orange slices. Very simple!
Orange Cookie Recipe
Without further ado, I present to you, this delicious recipe! I hope you love it as much as our family, friends and customers do! It’s perfect during warm weather but also gives a zing of flavor in the cold, winter months! Enjoy!
The Orange Cookie Recipe Everyone Will Love
- 1 cup (227g) Unsalted Butter Room Temperature
- 1 cup (200g) Granulated White Sugar
- 1.5 tsp (7.5ml) Natural Orange Emulsion (I use LorAnn's brand)
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 tsp (9.58g) Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp (3g) Salt
- 3 cups (360g) All-Purpose Flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- I use parchment paper on my cookies sheets and reuse them for all my batches that day.
- In your mixer bowl (or large bowl with hand-mixer) cream butter and sugar until smooth, at least 2 minutes.
- Beat in orange emulsion and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking powder, salt and flour. Add to wet ingredient mixing bowl a little at a time.
- Mix until thoroughly blended.
- Chilling the dough is not necessary! I have tried many different ways of rolling out dough and always come back to the old-fashioned way; a sheet of wax paper that has been floured.
- I usually divide the dough into 3 chunks and roll out each onto a floured surface and cut. In my experience, this dough works best for cookies at 1/4" thick. I use my Joseph Joseph rolling pin which does the measuring for me – genius!
- Bake at 350 for 7-8 minutes, depending on size of cookie. I also suggest baking similar-sized cookies together.
- Cool cookies on cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to cooling rack.
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If so, make sure you’re subscribed to receive our weekly newsletter! Never miss out on a new recipe, technique, product recommendation or Featured Baker! Happy Baking, Besties!
Sign up to receive my newsletter!