Hey Besties! I know I’m always excited to bring you new recipes but listen to me when I say, this is officially my favorite recipe! As in, if I had ALL our different cookies baked in front of me, THIS is the cookie I’d be reaching for! I can’t even believe I’m saying that because I didn’t think I’d ever have one favorite; they are all so good! And maybe it’s because I’ve licked 1,000 beaters in my lifetime while baking a cake. Or maybe because when I was pregnant with my first, I couldn’t get enough birthday cake ice cream from our nearby ice cream shop. Or simply because they look so fun with colored sprinkles! Regardless, I am so excited to share and can’t wait to hear your reactions too!
Core Memory Flavor
This flavor goes by many names, but we all know the flavor we’re after. And when you taste it, it immediately brings you back to those sweet memories. There was nothing better than licking the beaters, even though they say it will make you sick, right? I’m pretty sure we’ve all risked our lives by licking the beaters and enjoying every second of it! Well, I’ve been after that perfect flavor for a long time in a cutout cookie recipe and the mission has been completed! I wish I had a video of when I tried this recipe the first time! Maybe I should start filming my recipe reaction videos like I recorded my babies every time they tried a new vegetable!
After experimenting with different emulsions, flavorings and amounts, I’ve nailed down the one. THIS is the magical ingredient that I will now be purchasing in the largest bottle they offer. It’s perfect in every way and since it is a super strength flavor, which is WAY more potent than any emulsion or extract, you only use a very small amount, so a bottle really lasts. By the way, if you’re new to working with super strength flavors or emulsions, THIS post breaks it all down for you so you can open the door to endless flavor options.
LorAnn makes some amazing products, many of which I LOVE and feature in our cutout cookie recipe collection HERE. They make it super easy to achieve really fun and delicious flavor combos and keep your family, friends and customers excited for your treats! This cake batter flavor is definitely front and center in our pantry!
- You can have your cake and eat it too! Don’t be out-celebrated on your next dessert. Add a touch of Cake Batter flavor and some sprinkles to make your dessert extra special.
Can YOu Keep Them Long Enough To Decorate?
Not gonna lie….these cookies are gone really fast at our house. They commonly don’t even make it to the decorating stage. But of course, they are delicious when paired with our royal icing recipe! In THIS post, I break down the recipe we use, along with exactly how we make it. If you follow this, you’ll avoid color bleed and other common issues cookiers struggle with. It’s very simple to make but royal icing needs to be made properly to get the rewards of great flavor and results!
Our vanilla royal icing pairs beautifully with this recipe and lets the amazing cookie flavor shine! However, feel free to add a some of the cake batter flavoring to your icing as well if you’d prefer. It’s delicious that way too!
And while we love the cuteness of the sprinkles in these cookies, those are completely optional as well. They give a fun look and texture, but you can omit sprinkles and still keep the flavor if you’d prefer. You’ve got options! Although I will say, it’s fun to include complementary color/theme sprinkles for an added surprise.
Funfetti Cutout Cookies Recipe
The moment you’ve been waiting for! I seriously can’t wait to hear your feedback on this recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do! These funfetti cutout cookies seem to bring more smiles to everyone simply because the fun and flavor factor is so high. Enjoy!
The Most Magical Funfetti Cutout Cookies
Funfetti Cutout Cookies
- 1 cup (227g) Unsalted Butter Chilled
- 1 cup (200g) Granulated White Sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) Cake Batter Super Strength Flavoring LorAnn brand
- 1 Large Egg Chilled
- 2 tsp (9.5g) Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp (3g) Salt
- 3 cups (360g) All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp Sprinkles I prefer Jimmies
Funfetti Royal Icing
- 5 Tbsp Meringue Powder I use Genie's Dream
- 1 Tbsp Light Corn Syrup
- 3/4 tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Cake Batter Super Strength Flavoring LorAnn brand
- 1 cup Water
- 2 lbs Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- I use parchment paper on my cookies sheets and reuse them for all my batches that day.
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth, at least 2 minutes.
- Beat in cake batter flavoring, vanilla and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking powder, salt and flour. Add to wet ingredient mixing bowl a little at a time.
- Mix until thoroughly blended. Add sprinkles to dough while mixing. Dough should be pulling away from the bowl.
- Chilling the dough is not necessary! I have tried many different ways of rolling out dough and always come back to the old-fashioned way; a sheet of wax paper that has been floured.
- I usually divide the dough into 3 chunks and roll out each onto a floured surface and cut. In my experience, this dough works best for cookies at 1/4" thick. I use my Joseph Joseph rolling pin which does the measuring for me – genius!
- Bake at 350 for 7-8 minutes, depending on size of cookie. I also suggest baking similar-sized cookies together.
- Cool cookies on cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to cooling rack.
Funfetti Royal Icing
- Combine meringue powder, light corn syrup, clear vanilla extract, cake better flavoring water in mixing bowl.
- Using a whisk, mix until ingredients are foamy. This is essentially reconstituting the egg whites in the meringue powder.
- Add the powdered sugar.
- Using your whisk, mix until powdered sugar is slightly incorporated (and won't fly everywhere)
- Beat for 5 minutes on medium-high
- Icing will thicken, whiten and will have soft peaks once ready
- Your Royal Icing will now be ready to color and thin to your desired consistencies for decorating!
I truly hope you love this recipe as much as we do! With so many amazing cutout cookie flavor recipes, I never thought I could pick a favorite, but here we are! These funfetti cutout cookies are reigning champ…at least for now!
Don’t forget to subscribe to receive our weekly newsletter! Never miss out on a new recipe, technique, product recommendation, Featured Baker or free printables! Happy Baking, Besties!
Sign up to receive my newsletter!